María Morena Del Río
María Morena joined Allende & Brea in 2003, and heads the department of administrative and environmental law. She was named partner of the firm in December 2006 and is a member of the Bar Association of the City of Buenos Aires.
In 1995 she graduated as a lawyer from the School of Law of “Universidad Nacional de La Plata”. In 1996 she attended the Training Program for Lawyers organized by FORES and won the Award granted by the Bank Boston Foundation. In 1998 she gained a Masters Degree in Administrative Law from “Universidad Austral”. She is currently professor of Administrative Law chaired by Professor Guido S. Tawil in the “Universidad Nacional de Buenos Aires” and is a member of the teaching career.
She has specialized in the areas of practice of administrative law, such as: bids and public contracts, administrative procedures, administrative processes, claims against the Administration, defense in punitive proceedings, regulatory advice and consumer defense.
She has been actively involved in matters regarding public works and infrastructure, for the sectors of transportation, drinking water, sanitation, communications, broadcasting, postal service, power, hydrocarbons and industries in general.
As regards environmental matters her practice is focused on providing comprehensive advice on the fields of industrial settlement, expansion of establishments, reconversion of activities, application for, and handling of, authorizations or permits and individual or collective environmental litigations.
She has been cited as an outstanding practitioner in Administrative and Environmental Law by well-known international publications such as Chambers & Partners Latin America, The Legal 500 Latin America and Latin Lawyer 250.
She has published the following articles:
• “RECURSOS DIRECTOS CONTRA LAS DECISIONES DEL ENRE Y ENARGAS” [Direct Appeals against ENRE and ENARGAS’ decisions] (El Derecho 182-1437).
• “PRODUCT LIABILITY IN ARGENTINA” (in The International Comparative Legal Guide to Product Liability 2008, Global Legal Group, p.p. 67/71 co-authored with María Cecilia Victoria).
• “EL PROCEDIMIENTO ADMINISTRATIVO SANCIONADOR” [Administrative Proceedings for Sanctions] (in Procedimiento Administrativo, Guido S. Tawil (Director), Abeledo Perrot, 2009, p.p. 507/28).
• “CUESTIONES QUE PLANTEA LA RESPONSABILIDAD POR PASIVOS AMBIENTALES” [Issues Arising from environmental liabilities] (Presentation made in the III Congress on Administrative Law of the Association of Administrative Law of the City of Buenos Aires, on September 17, 2009).
• “CONTROL JUDICIAL DE LOS ENTES REGULADORES DE SERVICIOS PÚBLICOS” [Judicial Review of the decisions made by utilities’ regulators] (in Administrative Procedural Law, Guido S. Tawil (Editor), Abeledo Perrot, 2011, p.p. 733/57).
• “PUBLIC PROCUREMENT IN ARGENTINA” (in, Global Competition Review, 2010, p.p. 14/18, Global Competition Review, 2011, p.p. 14/8, Global Competition Review, 2012, p.p. 14/18).
• “CHAPTER 1. ARGENTINA”, (in The Government Procurement Review, Jonathan Davey and James Falle Editors, Law Business Research, 2013, p.p. 1/11, and Second Edition, 2014, p.p. 1/13).
• “ACTOS PREPARATORIOS” [Preparatory Acts] (in the collective work “Acto Administrativo”, Guido S. Tawil (Editor), Abeledo-Perrot, 2014, p.p. 37/57).
• CLASS/COLLECTIVE ACTIONS IN ARGENTINA: OVERVIEW, (A Global Guide from Practical Law, Thomson Reuters, p.p. 27-40).
She has been a lecturer at:
• the First Annual Meeting on Biddings, Center of Managerial Training and Formation, Alvear Palace Hotel, Buenos Aires, May 30, 2006, title of lecture “BIDDING TERMS AND CONDITIONS”.
• the Annual Meeting of ADARA Forum 2008, Claridge Hotel, Buenos Aires, May 20, 2008, title of the lecture: “THE NEW CONSUMER LAW AND ITS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE INSURANCE MARKET”.
• the Symposium on Collective Processes and Responsibility of the State, lecture on the case “MENDOZA, BEATRIZ SILVIA Y OTROS C. E. N. Y OTROS –CSJN July 8, 2008 – Fallos: 331:1622”.
• the Symposium on Institutions of administrative law in the federal jurisdiction and in the jurisdiction of the City of Buenos Aires, on “LEGAL STANDING AND SCOPE OF THE JUDGMENT”, held on October 25, 2012 at the School of Law of the “Universidad de Buenos Aires”, lecturing on “EL CASO HALABI”.
• the Symposium on “THE PROBLEM ABOUT THE NONEXISTENCE OF ADMINISTRATIVE ACTS”, that took place on December 3, 2013 at the School of Law of the “Universidad de Buenos Aires”.
• the VI Latin American Workshop on Administrative Law, Bar Association of the City of Buenos Aires, June 10, 11 and 12, 2015, lecturing on “REQUEST FOR INJUNCTION AND ADMINISTRATIVE CLAIMS”.
• the VIII INTER INSTITUTIONAL SYMPOSIUM OF THE SCHOOL OF LAW OF THE “UNIVERSIDAD DE BUENOS AIRES”, on Regulatory power and penalizing power, held on November 18, 2015, lecturing on “STRICT LIABILITY AND JOINT AND SEVERAL LIABILITY IN THE ADMINISTRATIVE POWER UNDER THE NEW CIVIL AND COMMERCIAL CODE OF ARGENTINA”.
• the seminar “INFRASTRUCTURE, CURRENT STATUS AND CONTEXT” organized by Munich Re, on September 29, 2016 lecturing on “INTRODUCTION TO PPP”.